Sunday, July 6th, my first day at home:
I slept in a bed last night! I have to say, it was quite nice. I uploaded my photos to my computer, read my journal over, and added my trip statistics:
elevation
|
miles
|
Location
|
3700
|
6.1
|
Mt Whitney
|
2500
|
12.3
|
Mt Whitney
|
3690
|
16.5
|
Forrester Pass
|
2476
|
10.5
|
Glen Pass
|
800
|
10.5
|
Rae Lakes
|
3360
|
10.7
|
Pinchot Pass
|
1874
|
10.5
|
Mather Pass
|
2350
|
16
|
towards Muir Pass
|
2550
|
19
|
Muir Pass
|
3450
|
16
|
Piute Pass
|
0
|
5
|
|
26750
|
133.1
|
Totals
|
I even impressed myself with the final numbers! Not bad for
a first-time solo hike!
I hiked from right to left on the elevation profile above, from Mt. Whitney to near Muir Ranch Trail to take the Piute Pass trail out. Each peak on the grid is a pass noted above in my mileage table. Wow!
Otherwise, my first day back was mellow, and I didn’t want
to go out and see anyone. One friend came over and heard my stories, and
otherwise I just had to chill at home, in complete quiet.
Monday, July 7th:
I went to the dentist to have my rear molar crown
glued back on, and left there $200 lighter. But I was overjoyed that the tooth
could be saved, and I am chewing properly again. Blisters are still healing, as
are also the raw skin areas from sunburns on my tummy, top and sides of ears,
and backs of hands. The heat welts on my thighs seem to be clearing up fast now
that I am not exposing that skin to the sun. I saturated my entire body with
coconut oil because my skin was so dry everywhere.
Saturday, July 12th: one week after returning home:
I’ve been to work Monday through Friday, and found it busy and a little
hard to synch with it, particularly at the first of the week. By the end of the
week I was finally caught up with two weeks missed plus the current week, not
bad progress! My spirits still soar, and I’ve been hoping to find the time to
write this blog to share with the many people who have asked me about my trip.
I cried leaving the mountains because it made me feel small,
so insignificant in what can feel like such a big and cold world. How could I
fit all that I experienced into this little body vessel to take it back home?
Was that even possible? The conclusion came to me that I needed not to fit into
a sort of smallness, but to bring the expansiveness into my everyday life, to
never lose that.
On the first day of my solo hike I met Pillsbury. She told
me about an cartoon that appeared in Backpacker Magazine – June 2014 issue, and
it was a doddle by PCT hiker “Doodles” (Katie Lei) in which she compared how
PCT hikers were like 5-year olds. PCT hikers all up and down the trail were chuckling
over these similarities, which I will share here:
We go to bed
at 8:30
I need to
dig a hole!
We walk
places in lines
Still not getting
a job!
Talking to
yourself and creating elaborate fantasies in your mind
Going by
silly nicknames
Eating food
off the ground
Playing
outside
Needing a
bath
Having
emotional meltdowns for dubious reasons
Realizing
you need to poop RIGHT NOW
Happy to accept
candy from strangers
Wearing the
same clothes everyday
Poking
things with sticks
Picking
one’s nose in public
And my
favorite: becoming best friends forever with total strangers
Two weeks after returning home, Saturday July 18, 2014:
I have mostly healed and peeled on blisters and sunburns
but the raw burn on my right shoulder continues to itch all through the day. I’ve
been tired, so I know my body needed some time to catch back up to itself. Yet
my spirits still soar, and it only takes a moment to look outside at the trees
or the undulating forest near my home to transport myself back in spirit. That
spirit lives on within me and is easily drawn back up to my joyful mind.
What an enriching experience this solo-hiking adventure was
for me. I remain ever grateful for all that I have received, which is far too
much to list in any writing. Joy to you all, that you too may experience the
peace, joy, and oneness of Nature.
In the cosmic Aum, Sitabai “Sky Pilot”


Nice wrap....eventually the exhilaration and the mundane just vibrate...one slower than the other.
ReplyDeleteI like that!
DeleteIt's all one consciousness, one vibration, one energetic field. It's easy to forget that's the nature of REALITY. I have to be reminded over and over, even though I think of it as the theme of my life. The Dalai Lama says its either Conventional Reality or Eternal Reality, same thing!
ReplyDelete