Hike approx 5 miles out to car parked at North Lake Parking. Drive home. Sleep in my bed tonight.
I awoke early again, and had my 2/3 cup coffee and nut bar for
breakfast. I was hiking by 6:30am. I figure I can be down by 8:30am easy, with
about 3.5 miles ahead to go and then a little walk to the car parking. The hike
down is beautiful and I stop to chat with a couple guys on their way up. They
examine my lightweight backpack and the effortless bounce I seem to exude in my
stride. I explain the qualities of my groovy backpacking ultra-light gear that
has made this trip possible, thanks to a dear friend who graciously loaned it
to me in order that I might have the ability to hike light and fast.
I make it down to the beautiful forest below in no time,
complete with mosquitoes and amazing blooming wildflowers again. When I started
crossing little streams I knew I was getting close to the trailhead, so I found
a spot away from the trail to do a final washup. I had hoped to be
“presentable” and so I also rinsed out my hair, letting it dry curly instead of
mashing it under my hiking baseball cap.
Creek crossings, flowers, and my final trail out.
When I popped out at the trailhead I looked for the parking
lot. All told, I hiked 5 miles this morning, and it was 9:15am when I got to
the car. But the car was there, just as Brian had promised! He put my car keys
in a zip-lock baggie (which we all carry for our food supplies), and then
duct-taped it to the underside of my rear bumper (duct tape being another
backpacker staple item). I chuckled at the humor in that, and then gave thanks
for this fine gentleman who made my life so easy today. I make a mental note to
write him an email (note and contact details were also in the baggie) when I
return home.
Driving down to Bishop from this high parking area I noticed
the dramatic mountains receding in the rear view mirror at a fast
loss-of-definition pace. At a distance they now looked like nothing. Why would
anyone want to go up there? Peaks, yes. High, yes. But no definition to their
incredible, understated beauty. And yet I know their secrets; learning them
requires getting up close and personal. Then you see it all on an intimate
scale.
As the mountains fade my tears flow. How can I really be
leaving?
In Bishop I get that coveted egg tomato breakfast bagel I
have had tucked in the back of my mind for the last 24 hours. It was worth the
anticipation! Plus I got a bear claw. And coffee. And fresh squeezed orange
juice. Here comes a food coma! OMG! Bliss! I buy another sticky bun for the
drive home, and I hit the road.
Driving seems WAY TOO FAST! It’s almost freaky. I’ve
traveled by my own feet for the last 11 days, at about 1.5 to 2 miles per hour.
While walking I see the trees, lakes, mountains, streams: all move from in
front of me to behind me, and my progress out there feels real. Now things whiz
by so fast it shocks me. I consciously try to focus on my safe driving, so that
I don’t “check out” whenever I wistfully look to the west and see the mountains
soaring just over there. I removed the top of my convertible, turned on the
music, and settled in for the long drive home.
It was all fine for a while until I got to Lake Tahoe, which
is high elevation and alpine. It looked so much like my daily home these last
11 days that I erupted in tears again. That was hard, and once again I forced
myself to focus on driving.
I arrived home at 7pm. The stress of driving seemed far
greater than carrying a backpack for 19 miles! I was home, safe, and blissfully
at peace. I was really glad the world stopped whizzing by at 60mph!








Brian is an angel! Welcome home. Time to ground again!
ReplyDeleteYes! Brian is an angel!!!
Delete