Drop down to Bishop Pass Trail, up to little lake below Muir Pass. 16.0 miles. 2350’ elevation gain. Sleep at 10,869’.
I awoke at 5:00am so that I could watch the sun come up in its
dramatic way in this canyon and meditate while there. So beautiful! Besides,
the birds at dawn are a cacophony each morning and won’t let me sleep. I so
enjoy the really early hours. After breakfast I packed up and was on trail at
about 7:00, with a joyful step.
At perhaps 10:00am I sat by the stream coming down from the
dramatic steep canyon I had just switchbacked steadily down and was filterning
some water again. Focusing on my task, I didn’t notice the other hiker who
walked by me. Suddenly there was a scream: “SITABAI!!!!!” I looked up, but not
fast enough to avoid being nearly knocked over by the exuberance of Pillsbury!
I began screaming gleefully, too, and we rocked back and forth in a big hug! We
found each other again! We were so happy to reunite!
![]() |
| Headed down from Mather Pass, looking to the distance to Muir Pass near the end of today. Photo courtesy of Pillsbury. |
After our greeting, she simply said, “Wanna walk?” Oh, the
simplicity of PCT hikers. There’s no other concern, so let’s just walk!
The photos today and tomorrow are mostly from Pillsbury blog since my cell phone was getting really low on batteries.
I was so excited to rejoin with Pillsbury and we gabbed away
at a rapid pace, catching up on the events of the last 5 days since we had parted.
Such a delightful soul she is, and so nice that we fell right back into step
again.
In a couple hours we passed a bubbling, vigorous stream
racing across the granite slabs. It was gorgeous! We decided to have a sit,
soak our feet in the cold water, and eat lunch. We sat for about an hour
enjoying the water and the nourishing power of food. I also had my usual
Starbucks Via instant coffee with Nido Milk Powder. It never fails to please
and to make my smile just a bit bigger!
Pillsbury had been loosely hiking with another PCT hiker for
the last several days, a man with the PCT name of “Walrus”. He usually finds a
lunch spot and waits for Pillsbury, but we never found him today. I always
marvel at the perfect ebb and flow: now
I reappear in Pillsbury’s world and Walrus sets a faster pace and seems far
ahead of us, all without any planning. How does that exactly work? ;-)
After lunch it wasn’t much farther and we came upon the
Bishop Pass Trail Junction. This was my intended exit point. Now since finding
Pillsbury again I didn’t want to leave! Fortunately, I was now two days ahead
of schedule, which I had intended to spend playing around the famous Dusy Basin
up by Bishop Pass. Instead I decided on the spur of the moment to hike further
on the PCT with Pillsbury, figuring I could go as far as she wanted to for the
day and camp with her tonight. My plan evolved into overshooting Bishop Pass,
camping high up tonight, day hike with Pillsbury to Muir Pass in the morning
and look over to the famous Evolution Lakes below, and return to this Bishop
Pass trail tomorrow afternoon. Perfect, a solution to go on.
Not too long after this I met a man with two young boys. I
asked if they might be leaving by Bishop Pass and if they might take a message
for me, to call home and let people know I’d be back a day later than expected
(having earlier in the week re-allocated my food, because I realized I’d want
to stay out longer). This man was very happy to take the message, and I
marveled again at the perfection of finding this one right person, and never
seeing another soul the rest of the day. How does that exactly work? ;-)
![]() |
| The great rock monster, he does have an eye on the right but it is hard to see |
Pillsbury and I hiked on, up and up towards Muir Pass. We
spotted the great Rock Monster, so famous for PCT hikers! On we hiked, to a lovely
little lake about 2.5 miles shy of Muir Pass. The sun was setting, and we were
both ready for some dinner and to pitch our tents. I had a joyful day today
with Pillsbury and will be sorry to only hike to the Pass tomorrow and then
turn back, but I am thankful for this extra time to enjoy the trail with her.
Pillsbury gave me a PCT trail name today! I had been
watching the changing flora of wildflowers, always so inspired by them, and I
expressed my sadness in not seeing the Sky Pilot flower on the most recent
mountain Passes. It is a very high-elevation flower, and smells like Hawaii.
Little purple pom-poms in an otherwise rocky inhospitable place. I love them
the most! Suddenly Pillsbury said, “You’re name is Sky Pilot!” She said it was an
appropriate name because I love them so, because I wear a purple-blue tank top
every day - the same color as the flowers, because I am sweet like them, because
I am a rare breed and push hard to reach high goals, and when finding the Sky
Pilot flower one is treated to its inner and outer beauty. Pillsbury is so
poetic, and said the name was perfect for me. I decided to keep it! What an
honor! J
![]() |
| In the valley, looking in the direction of our next Pass (Muir), photo by Pillsbury |
![]() |
| The lovely creek coming down from the Muir basin, photo by Pillsbury |
This trip is beyond any of my wildest expectations. I began
with some trepidation as to my abilities, given my age and knee/hip joint
problems. I’ve never walked these long mileages before. I have a tremendous
amount of backcountry experience, but I’ve never been solo for 11 days. I once
again lay down to sleep with a smile of deep inner gratitude for all that has
been given me. Thank you to the Divine in every rock, stream, flower, animal,
wind, and fellow hiker. I am incredibly blessed.
![]() |
| Our camp below Muir Pass, I am in the photo behind her tent. Photo by Pillsbury |





Sky Pilot is an excellent name!
ReplyDeleteI agree! Thank you!
Delete