Crabtree Meadow to high meadow after Forrester Pass (13,200’). 16.5 miles. 3690’ elevation gain. Sleep at 11,200’ elevation
I awoke early, with the birds, who were having a good
chatter early off in the morning to find one another. It was a busy world out
there this morning! I arose, had a cup of coffee snagged from the group food
from yesterday, and no breakfast. By lunch today I would be onto my previously
and carefully planned food allocation, and be fine again on that. I broke camp
and happily set off, with a 10 mile goal in front of me. I was hoping to make
it to the incline just before Forrester Pass so that I could cross the Pass early
tomorrow morning, before thunder storms that sometimes hit in the mid-day roll
in, if they are going to (which is often a little later in the season).
After an hour on the trail, and chanting to myself, I wanted
to take a rest and a potty break, but the mosquitoes urged me on. I had no
choice but to keep walking! I passed a couple of guys who had not yet begun
their hike so I paused to say hello. They were friendly, greeted me, and asked
where I was headed. After a few pleasantries, I began my walking again. Soon
thereafter a young woman with an “I’ve got a mission” sort of pace caught up on
my heels. She also greeted me, and we exchanged destinations. Very soon we had
found a commonality and the conversation flowed easily between us. In fact, it
flowed so easily, I could not believe how the miles peeled by. I enjoyed every
valley and creek, but I also enjoyed her company. We had so much in common.
“Should we stop for some lunch?” she asked at about 1:00pm.
Whoa? Where did the time go? Yes! We’d better stop, because one needs to keep
the fuel up for long hikes or one will eventually “bonk”, meaning “run out of
steam” (in a big way) and need to lie down and recover. Plus, I had only had a
little snack this morning, no real breakfast
because of the change of plans with yesterday’s group. She and I stopped
for lunch, chatting more for that hour of a rest, enjoying the little stream we
had stopped at, collecting more water for lunch and for the continuing afternoon
hike.
![]() |
| Pillsbury at one of our rest stops |
We got walking again, and at about 4:30pm we had arrived at
the spot I intended to camp for the night, in my previous carefully-laid out
plan for my itinerary. We took a little break here, a small lakelet below
Forrester Pass. Then without pause, she said, “Well, shall we knock off that Pass?”
Um….whoa….really? Knock off a pass, no…not any pass, the highest pass and
highest point on the famous PCT (Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada), at
13,200’. “What the heck! Yeah!” I said, so off we started up the steep
switchbacks to reach the summit at about 6:00pm. It was windy and spectacular.
We didn’t stay long, taking pictures of ourselves with the sign on the summit,
and then started down the north side, crossing snowfields carefully, so that we
could get to someplace to camp before dark. The few miles before and after a
summit are all steep and rocky and generally afford no place for camping.
![]() |
| Sky Pilot Flower at Forrester Pass, looking North to Budd Creek Basin |
![]() |
| Pillsbury (note the mascot on her right shoulder) and me at Forrester Pass |
![]() |
| Creek down below Forrester Pass |
![]() |
| Me in evening light, crossing the creek |
![]() |
| Pillsbury |
After another hour we found a lovely spot to camp, and not a
moment too soon for me, as I was getting really tired. It had been a 16.5 mile
day. This was a tiny plateau in a high alpine meadow at 11,200’, with a stream
nearby. We each made camp and dinner, sat together still talking, and I was in
my tent asleep by 9:00pm. I think I didn’t pack my tiny keychain flashlight
(with the commotion in the bigger group and keeping gear set aside, I’m
surprised I’m not missing some more critical item), so I must retire before it
is dark. Pillsbury, my new PCT friend (we only exchanged names after many hours
of walking), stayed up for quite a while longer doing her blog on her cell
phone (amazing!).
![]() |
| My little 1# solo tent and bear cylinder at this camping spot. Divine! |
Relaxing for sleep I realize how incredibly full of
gratitude I am. I began with trepidation, wondering if I could do a 100 mile solo
trip, and if I should be heading out while missing a tooth. Not long into this, my first hike day, I am
run out of the woods where I intended to go to the bathroom, back to the trail,
whereupon I meet Pillsbury. It was like I was being chased back on trail so I
would not miss this meet-up! Pillsbury has been my cheerful PCT training wheels
today, so confident and self-assured. She doesn’t doubt her abilities, and in
her company I let my doubts slide completely away. I was so happy and peaceful.
The hike down from Forrester Pass as the sun hit its sideways glance was prana
life-force being absorbed into my cells like breathing oxygen is needed desperately
by the lungs. Each step, with the waning sun, was filled with intense beauty as
the sun hit the slopes in dramatic colors. The meadows, mountains and streams
were singing with joy and with an elevated, no worries and no attachments,
philosophy. I fell asleep quickly and with a bubble of joy.
Pillsbury blogs about our day together:







No comments:
Post a Comment