Creek
in the woods to Swinging Bridge crossing Woods Creek, then up over Pinchot Pass
(12,086’), to Lake of the Devas (unnamed lake after Lake Margaret). 10.7
miles. 3360’ elevation gain. Sleep at 11,046’.
 |
| Leaving my camp this morning, I look happier! |
 |
| Looking through the slats of the bridge |
I slept in a bit this morning, getting out of the tent at
6:45am, which put me on-trail by 7:45 after breakfast and packing. It was all
downhill now to the swinging suspension bridge that crosses Woods Creek. What a
fun bridge! I played around a bit there, taking some photos, admiring the water
below.
 |
| Suspension Bridge |

 |
| Signpost just after the bridge |
 |
| Note to a fellow PCT hiker under a rock by bridge |
After a quick break on the other side, I shouldered my pack
and suddenly there was a woman about my age standing there quietly. “Where on
earth do they come from, so silently, unannounced?” I thought. I looked up and
she merely said, “I’ll let you go first, I’m slow.” I tried to start a
conversation with her, but she seemed disinterested.
After passing this woman called "Grasshopper" repeatedly we finally realized we
were moving at a similar pace up this long 7.7 mile climb to Pinchot Pass, a
long slow climb of 3800’. It would take a big chunk of the day. I attempted
again to engage her in conversation. She has two daughters around the age of my
two oldest sons, and she’s retired. She is a PCT hiker who walked all the way
to this point and then had to go off-trail for two weeks to heal, having gotten
herself stuck in the snow field on the north side of Glen Pass two weeks ago.
Once stuck by post-holing in the snow up to her groin she wiggled forward and
back to free her legs, using her poles to try to extract herself. Stuck is not
a good place to be on a mountain pass! She struggled, and basically pulled her
ligaments that hold the pelvic muscles in place, thus creating S-I-Joint
problems in the lower hips. Another day later of painful hiking and she took
the first trail out, going home for several cortisone shots in these locations
of her pelvis. She was walking with noticeable pain now.
We didn’t talk long. I even offered to carry some of her
gear. After a period of silence I went on alone. I saw her again at the top of
Pinchot Pass and then again at a lake down on the other side, but never again
after that. I sent her prayers for a speedy recovery and in hopes that she
might actually be able to complete her dream of making it to Canada this year.
 |
| These photos taken in the early part of the day before the dark clouds rolled in. This is looking up at Pinchot Pass where I am headed and trying to cross today. |
By mid-afternoon we heard on the trail-grapevine that the darkening sky above might bring a thunder storm and some showers, so all hikers seemed to now have an increased pace and a sense of urgency. I put myself into high gear, because I wanted to cross that pass today. One should not cross if such a storm comes in, because you are at the high spot, ready for a lightning bolt! I put myself into overdrive and pushed on, up the mountain, breathing in and out with a cadence like running a Half-Marathon. My regular breathing gave me a sense of tempo, almost comforting, and I marched on up, watching the clouds. Once at the Pass there were a few drops of rain, and the three of us hikers up there at that time donned rain gear. I stayed watching the incredible power of the sky for a half-hour, carful to watch for lightening. It wasn't dangerous but it was dramatic, and made a lovely display!
Lots and lots of flowers on the way up this Pass! I couldn't help taking photos.
 |
| Me at the Pass, raingear on but the clouds are lifting. |
 |
| Another hiker on the Pass, raingear on |
Finally I walked down the north side of the pass, coming to
Lake Marjorie. It drained out on the north end into a shallow drainage, with
the water out-flow being some 75’ across. The next little lake down in
elevation had no name but was incredibly lovely. I stopped there to take a rest,
and couldn’t tear myself away. I named it Lake of the Devas, and pitched my
tent at around 7:00pm after sitting and meditating for a good while. Again I
looked this evening for a site that would accommodate two small tents, and left
a note on the trail with PILLSBURY written on it with a left arrow to direct
her to my location, should she make it that far. I was enjoying very much all
this glorious time alone, but I also didn’t want to miss her if she might hike
right on by.
 |
| Looking down from Pinchot Pass to Lake Marjorie below |
 |
| Note the tower or rocks, called a rock cairn, to help us find the trail in these rocky areas |
The stream runoff from Lake Marjorie above came into this
lake, and I walked out into the middle of the drainage, since it was so shallow
with lots of rocks all around, and sat there, first filtering my evening water
and then reading and meditating some more. Water rushed by on both sides, and
on the left was a huge, dramatic rock wall. I felt so surrounded by the beauty
of nature once again, so enriched and alive.
 |
| Taking a rest stop and checking my maps (under rock to keep the wind from taking them) |
 |
| Field of shooting stars on the way up to Pinchot Pass. I just LOVE these fields! |
 |
| Sky Pilot flower again on Pinchot Pass, and this is the last time I will see this beauty on this trip. It only grows at very high elevations. |
I ate ,my dinner, buttoned up the bear canister, and got into my tent. Guess what? I found my tiny keychain flashlight today! It is only about 1” long and ¼” wide and weighs 0.3 ounces and was hanging on the outside of my pack where “I wouldn’t lose it!” All these days I’ve gone without it (and successfully, too), but now it’s nice to have the light after dark. I read my book about women saints of India and journaled until about 9:30. All I hear is the rushing water from the stream I sat in a bit earlier tonight. All is well in every cell and breath, and I fall quickly to sleep.
 |
| Lake Marjorie as I draw closer, and it always amazes me how quickly I come upon these after dropping down from the passes. |
 |
| What I've called Lake of the Divas, where I will spend the night. |
 |
| Lake of the Divas near my tent site looking down canyon (N) |
No comments:
Post a Comment