Lake of the Devas to the valley, up over Mather Pass (12,100’), to stream above Upper Palisade Lake. 10.5 miles. 1874’ elevation gain. Sleep at 10,777’.
I didn’t sleep well last night, it being too hot here at
this balmy 11,000’. Elevation does make a difference! This little lake will be
one of my favorite spots of the trip, so full of prana, or essential life
force. I have found precious few places such as this on this earth, where I
feel the veil between this reality and the next is very thin. The spiritual
vibrations here are very strong. I walked back out to the middle of the inlet
stream and sat to meditate because I didn’t want to leave it, although I
normally hit the trail early and save meditation for mid-day. Funny, too, that
others seem immune to it, or choose not to attune to it. There is also a couple
camping a few hundred feet away and they have only approached the water once to
gather water. Out here in the middle of it I am listening to the aliveness of
this place, the bumblebees, the grasshoppers, the mosquitoes, the occasional
fish jumping. The water is a deep blue with neat jaggedy rocks all around, and
reflects the sky and the mountains. I want to capture the sights, sounds,
smells, shades of light, temperature, reflections, and subtle vibrations to
keep within me always.
I think of this place being blanketed in snow again in a few
months so that the woodland devas may have their heavenly home to themselves. I
thank them for sharing it with me. I am in love with the Divine, with Mother
Nature, here in the essential Now, inspired and joyful and alive inside. I
close my eyes again and reach out with my senses to feel the essence of
creation, and I hope that I can keep that inside yet always ready to share it
with a smile or a kind word to the few people I will pass on the trail today.
![]() |
| By creek up to Mather Pass |
I see so few people out here, from 5-15 people a day, which
seems relatively few for being such a main trail as the PCT/JMT. We are far
from the entry trails now. The hiker community is a family and would do things for
another without the least hesitation. But yet, they surprisingly continue to carry
so much of their worldly worries and city vibrations with them. Few leave them
behind. I wonder for the 5-month PCT hikers if this psychological backpack of
worries, concerns, and ego attachments remain even into Oregon and Washington.
Will they ever jettison this backpack full of emotional drain?
The mosquitoes are loving me this morning, even with my
headnet on, so I think it is time to begin my day’s walk. The area is very
rocky all around, and those big polished granite slabs so common to Yosemite
are appearing more and more frequently now, reminding me of the glacial
activity to create these steep, dramatic canyons. Stunning beauty is all
around.
I began walking and took several water breaks on the steady
climb to Mather Pass, as the creeks were splendid and beautiful. My hips began
to hurt and I wondered, “why now?”, with having had such success and no pain for
so many days. Suddenly I realized that I did not put on my S-I-Joint belt this
morning, thinking I was “so strong I don’t need it anymore!” I stopped and put
it on again, and an hour later the hip pain left me.
I wonder if Pillsbury will catch up to me today. When I reached
the last little lakelet below the Pass it calls to me to linger. All around is
a rolling grassy tuft so that if you sit in the low spot it creates a sort of
backrest for you. I found one of these inviting places to recline, and ate
lunch. I lay back lazily, and watched the clouds dance in the sky. Up here the
winds are stronger, and the clouds have more of a story to tell. I must have
lounged for quite a bit, pondering the nature of life, the beauty all around,
the endless quiet. Finally it felt time for me to start the last switchback
ascent to the top.
Swami Kriyananda wrote a song that has a verse that goes
like this, and it went round and round in my head playfully:
Leave home
in the sunshine!
Dance through
a meadow!
Or sit by a
stream and just BE!
The lilt of
the water will gather your worries, and carry them down to the sea.
The lilt of
the water will gather your worries, and carry them down to the sea!
My dad once had said he was giving me an imaginary bouquet
of wildflowers. It struck me, because one does not give a bouquet of
wildflowers, as they droop so quickly. As I walked up the south side of Mather
Pass there suddenly were the most amazing collection of wildflowers…..they were
everywhere! Cheerful, and smiling! My guru had said that God smiles in the
flowers. I was so inspired by these cheerful floral faces, they took my breath
away. I felt so loved and so blessed. I continued walking, doing an inner puja,
giving my attachments and life-hurts up to the wind, allowing my consciousness
to be free and to soar.
I passed a couple coming down from the Pass; they were
headed South. I began to wonder if perhaps Pillsbury had overtaken me somewhere
and I just hadn’t known it. I asked them to look for a young woman with a
Pillsbury dough-boy stuffie mascot on the shoulder of her backpack, probably
hiking alone, and probably not more than a day behind me. They assured me they
would keep a watch out, and simply give her a hello from me should they find
her.
![]() |
| Me at the top, having donned my fleece top, always a little chilly up there. |
![]() |
| Trail as it leaves, headed North |
![]() |
| Selfie at the Pass, my backpack resting behind me |
When I reached the summit I was in such an inner space from
all the many “bouquets of wildflowers”. I sat there for a while writing in my
journal. The only sounds were wind and an occasional bird call, and the faint
ringing in my own ears. I was alone in this wilderness, free, protected, alive,
buzzing with the connection with Nature. It was incredibly beautiful no matter
which way you looked. I can see all the way to the lake where I started this
morning, and it is so far off in the valley beyond.
![]() |
| In the far distance is Mather Pass where I crossed earlier. Below is Upper Palisade Lake, but it is some distance down the slope. |
After maybe a half hour of sitting alone, a couple hiking
together made it to the top. Then a single man with a dark beard and happy
step. Neither did I care to engage with, being in such an inward space. I
donned my pack and began down the north slope of the Pass. I arrived at the
slope above Upper Palisade Lake and began looking for a campsite. There weren’t
many, owing to the trail crossing side-wise on the slope that went dramatically
down to the lake below (that the trail never actually visited). I put down my
backpack near a group of four who were planning their next day’s adventure
together, and went back up-trail to the stream crossing to collect water for
the evening. One man in this group near me was extremely loud! I thought it
would calm down once their plans were established, but now was time for me to
make a decision: Stay here with the noise, or pack up and move on. I craved the
quiet, so I repacked all my items strewn about (I was close to pitching my
tent, so everything was out of the pack), and headed out again.
Fortunately it wasn't far and I found a place where my tent
would fit on the side-slope, which an incredible over-view of Palisade Lake
below. I muttered out loud, “PERFECT!” and set my camp. My camping site is
actually illegal, in that we are required to camp 100’ from the trail and I am
3’ from the trail, but no one can blame me for this, with so little space
anywhere to set a tent. I get to stay here tonight? What a divine place! What a
gift and a blessing!
I sat back on the granite and watched the sun cast those
fading orange colors on the high mountains, called alpenglow. I meditated, ate
dinner overlooking the view, and all was extremely well in my world. Roibos
chai with instant milk powder and stevia powder, plus M&M’s were for
desert. Oh my, not a care in the world.












No comments:
Post a Comment