Monday, July 14, 2014

Day Four: Saturday, June 28, 2014

Meadow below Forrester to Upper Rae Lake over Glen Pass (11,924’). 10.5 miles. 2476’ elevation gain. Sleep at 10,548’.

I slept well last night until midnight when a group of five PCT hikers arrived at midnight, talking loudly and shining their headlamps in my eyes. After enduring annoyance for some painful minutes, I broke down to yelling at them to be quiet. Finally they did. This morning I see that they “cowboy camped”, meaning without a tent, all lined up like hot dogs in a fry pan to stay warm together. Their sleeping bags were all covered in frost. Pillsbury was wiping down her tent on the inside from frost, and I had pitched my tent under the overhang of a tree’s limbs so I didn't have frost buildup.
 
Cowboy camping PCT hikers all lined up and covered in frost
We made breakfast, broke camp, and were hiking by 6:45am. I still very much enjoyed my conversations today with Pillsbury, and we never seemed to run out of interesting material, from my life to hers, to all around the globe in subject matter. Pillsbury has a Master’s Degree in Engineering Physics, so we can talk easily with our engineering backgrounds and many common interests.

She had an interesting experience on the PCT thus far. In the desert of Southern California she began having abdominal pain. Finally she called for emergency support on her cell phone (when she got in range) and made her way to a highway crossing where a Sheriff picked her up. She was taken to the hospital, whereupon she had her appendix removed! This put her into a 6-week off-trail recovery at home in San Diego, until starting on the trail again just a few days ago. She is getting her “hiking legs” back now, which is great for me since she “only” is doing 16 miles a day!

We hiked along through stunning Budd Creek drainage and meadow. The mosquitoes got more intense as we descended in elevation to the forest floor. The difficult thing then became the steep switchback climb out again on the north side of Upper Vidette Meadow whereupon the mosquitoes swarmed us. Pillsbury is fairly allergic to them, and hikes with full long sleeve shirt, long sleeve pants, gloves, and sun hat – probably to protect from these hungry critters and to protect from the daily harshness of the sun. She doesn’t use sunscreen, she’s pretty much fully covered. We still had to stop for her to use some bug repellent, and then race up the steep canyon wall.

In the sunny open meadow at the top we came to the trail junction where Pillsbury needed to leave the trail (my way of a 7 mile out-pass: Kearsarge) to Bishop for her PCT resupply. All PCT hikers must carefully plan each food “drop”, watching that the food sent to that location is the correct quantity for the next leg of “carry”, and they hope to find a food resupply location that isn’t so far from the PCT trail. This out-trail isn’t one of those close ones for her (7 or so miles out, 17 miles hitch-hiking to Independence, then another 30 or so miles hitchhiking to the bigger town of Bishop). She’s very clever: she already has a sign written on Tyvek (lightweight waterproof strong paper) that says “Hiker to Town,” ready to hold it out when she gets to the road.

We had lunch under a tree in the shade, as it was now noon and the sun was boring down. It was a pleasant lunch, but I could tell that neither of us wanted it to end, to have to say goodbye. Of course, we must move on, so she departs headed East, and I leave headed North towards Glen Pass (11,924’).

Glen Pass is known to be steep and challenging, and another snowfield greets you to provide another challenge going down off the north side. I met another PCT hiker along this section, as we both stopped at a stream together to get water. I had already learned much from Pillsbury. A PCT hiker does not carry loads of water in the Sierras, as water occurs quite often at lakes and streams. Water is heavy! A quart weighs 2#, and it is very noticeable to be 2# lighter. We stop often for water now, every hour or so, which affords also a small rest stop on these intense climbs.

PCT Hiker "Pippin" at Glen Pass, looking South

Me at Glen Pass, looking North
The PCT hiker I meet then at the water stop is “Pippin”, as in Merry and Pippin from Lord of the Rings. She is a recent (May) graduate from college, 22 years old, and very interested in public land management. She’s a lovely soul, and we enjoy conversation all the way to Glen Pass and down to Rae Lakes below. At Glen Pass she commented, “That is reputed to be such a difficult Pass! But it was incredibly easy with you to talk to!” I felt the same; it’s one step after another and also interesting to hear these people’s stories. Pippin hopes to get to Canada by October 15th, and now that her best friend (Merry, from Lord of the Rings!) left the trail recently (this happens very commonly, only a fraction of those who set out at the Mexico border make it to the Canada border, for obvious reasons), she is now a solo hiker. She and I enjoyed conversation about India, the high Himalayas, and I learned that she has met the Dali Lama in Northern India and also carries with her a picture of Ganesha on her journey. Ganesha is known “to remove all obstacles”, a personal favorite of mine, too! Isn’t it great who Divine Mother puts in my Path? I am amazed again at meeting another young, confident, spunky young woman doing the PCT solo.

I contemplate the fact that Divine Mother puts these two wonderful souls along my course of life yesterday and today. I’ve often thought of hiking the PCT, and have wondered if I have what it takes to do it. The PCT hikers are a family out here, and they take in to this collective family other hikers so that it is a warm and caring trail community where everyone takes care of others. I found myself feeling grateful for meeting these people and becoming part of their camaraderie, if only for a short duration of their long march. Even this seems to feed me more joy.

I found a campsite for myself at Upper Rae Lake at about 4:30pm, and pitched my tent behind a large rock under a tree to be protected from the wind (more wind equals more wind flapping noise from the tent all night long, though I am not worried about the lack of strength of my little one-pound tent). There were a fair bit of mosquitoes here, too. As soon as the tent was up my next objective was to have a bath (no soap, basically scrubbing as best as one can in the lake), and clean my clothes as well so I don’t start getting really stinky. I wear the same clothes every single day, with one change of undies and socks. I have one very lightweight fleece, one medium fleece, and one very lightweight “puffie” (down sweater, weighing just six ounces), a lightweight wind jacket and wind pants, fleece pants for sleeping and for cold mornings, and I hike in the same shorts and wool tank top every day. Black shorts, bluish-purple top. Life is simple!
Rae Lake at my campsite, looking towards Glen Pass


Painted Lady peak, other side of Upper Rae Lake and my dinner view

I gather my things and head to the lake. I must have doubled-back on the main PCT trail, for I had no idea that when I took off all my clothes to wash up I soon discovered that I was about two feet off the main PCT trail! Eeeek! How did I discover? Two hikers walked by. I said, “OH! SORRY!” and I crouched down nearer to the water, as though that presented some meaningful way to “hide”. They pretended as though they never saw all that pink flesh, and walked on, not saying a word. I hastily finished up so that I could put on some clothing to continue the clothes-rinsing-out-and-agitating-in-the-presence-of-water process. I walked back up to my camp, hung the wet clothes in a nearby pine tree, and proceeded to make dinner, wearing only my puffie, wind jacket and wind pants, hiking cap (that is permeated in the cotton fibers with natural mosquito repellent), and a mosquito net over my head. They don’t seem to bother my hands or ankles, so I seem to be ok to cook and eat.

How can you beat this? I am relaxing, looking at the Painted Lady peak that frames itself behind beautiful Upper Rae Lake. The sun is casting low again, giving everything all around this place that dramatic evening hue. The lake reflects the glistening beauty. I merely need to heat water, re-hydrate my food that I had prepared earlier at home and dehydrated myself, and happily sit to watch the canvas of Divine Mother’s painting go through the evening parade of colors.

My one spoon stirs my meal. My one spoon feeds me. I lick it off and the dishes are done. I roll up the freezer-ziplock-bag my food was stored in (that was also my bowl to eat out of), and put it in another zip-lock bag that now holds the trash. Done!
My tent down there below the rock, and my kitchen
My clothes hanger

As the sun sets, in my rain jacket
My clothes won’t be dry until sometime tomorrow, so I need to be creative as to what to wear to bed tonight. I realize, looking at this stunning natural beauty, the face of God all around me. It is becoming clear to me that I won’t want to hike out this Friday as planned. I re-examine my carefully planned food allocations (in neat zip-lock bags, labeled for each meal), and decide to take something from each day’s food from tomorrow until Thursday to create a new food day for next Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday morning, giving me one more day in the wilderness. Quite honestly, making the coffee stretch farther than it is allocated is my biggest concern in this process!

Having hiked with Pillsbury and having gotten over Forrester Pass sooner than I had originally projected means that I am now about 2 days ahead of my schedule. What shall I do with that extra time? Slow down? Go farther? Find side trails to explore? I head to bed with these thoughts on my mind, again asleep at about 9:00pm to beat the darkness, having no flashlight. The world is good, the sky is blue, the birds are singing, and so is my eternal soul.

Affirmation that strikes me today:
I go forth in the Power of the Omnipresent Good, to bring me what I need, at the time that I need it.

1 comment: